aDreamMerchant

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Why do I need an MBA??

Sounds silly isn’t it.

“After spending so much effort and energy are you still not clear on this question “

That’s what even I said when I first thought of the question. But more then a year into this process. Having spent enormous time and energy into the GMAT and the apps I have forced my self into answering this question again. There were two voices arguing about this inside me. Me and AlterMe

Me: I love finance. I love share markets. I love it so much so that, I have license to become a registered broker dealer in 2 countries. I am managing my own portfolio for 3 years. I wanted to get into equity analysis or investment banking.

AlterMe: Now where is MBA coming into this?

Me: Most of the fund managers, equity analyst and I Bankers are MBA’s. Most of the firms in these areas recruit from these schools. So if I wanted to get into this. I need to do an MBA. Moreover, I also like to take decisions and lead by example. I wanted to drive things my way professionally. Now to get into such positions or be at least in the competition of getting into such position you need an MBA. Add to it the salary and the status. This is how MBA cojmes in handy

AlterMe: But, The goal,of getting into finance can be achieved by other means as well. For ex. do a CFA or Open your own broking company. Join as a broker in big firms and the try for growth. For the decisions making capability you can always try to open your own firm full time if you have the risk taking appetite and part time if you can manage. And not only will it provide you with opportunity to make decisions, but will test you team and leadership skills as well.

Me: WTF. What are you saying?

AlterMe: The crux of the matter is the goal with which you are trying to convince the ADCOM and yourself that you absolutely need an admission in B-School can be achieved without MBA as well.

Me: Wait a minute, this can not be true .I can not be fooling my self so long with this theory about MBA

Me: Let me think again.


So, I thought again and I came to some diffrent thoughts. Since my conscious past, I have always been a competitor who wants to compete with the best. I always believed in the theory that you are always better in a class where you are the dumbest person then in a class where you are the smartest as your learning in the former is much higher than the latter.

Add to it the zeal you have to be competitive and do what the best of them are doing. This is what fuels your MBA dream from a top B-School. You want to do MBA because you want to be with the best and smartest of the bunch during and after your MBA. You want to change the league in which you are competing. You want to go to the next level where the competitors are tougher and the stakes much higher. That is also the reason why you are attracted towards I banking and the Share markets because you feel the same way about these fields aswell

Any comments and feedback on this brain storming. Whom do you agree with Me or AlterMe. Or am I thinking too much. Or this application process is getting into my head. Please post you comments.

3 Comments:

  • The focus of my MBA is in accounting. I could be an accountant without having an MBA (but there's no way to become a CPA without an masters -- the requirement for classroom hours can't be achieved without a masters). Without a CPA, I have a horrizon of, possibly 15 years to become a controller and would likely never have a shot at anything higher (CFO or Treasurer). So, for my chosen field there's no choice but to get an MBA if I wish to attain the highest levels (which I do wish to). I don't know finance or the career paths / requirements, but it seems to me that if one can do just as well without an MBA as the can with it, there isn't much sense in wasting the time and money.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:10 PM, August 11, 2006  

  • @Hiran- Yes i agree but , MBA is just a means not the final destination for our dreams and some of us are destined to take the path less travelled

    @PoorBoy- Have you considered MS in accounting. I am not much aware but just heard of it. It was mentioned right alongside MS-finanace in some universities.
    For the second question, As Hiran said, with MBA each of us believe that we will be better prepared.

    By Blogger aDreamMerchant, at 10:17 PM, August 13, 2006  

  • I'm having the same debate myself. I'm a CPA and now I'm Chief Financial Officer for a small (dysfunctional) family-owned business. I love the work. But I'm tapped-out in terms of the scope of business entity; and these little businesses have limited longevity. I've always wanted an MBA from a top school, and I'm considering EMBA programs so I can still work and get the same degree within 2 years. Like your "Me" said, I love finance, and I'd like to prove myself among the best. It's a "life goal" -- but an expensive one. But, then, without goals, why get up in the morning...?

    Where are you thinking of applying?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:53 PM, March 26, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home